Thursday 10 October 2013

Bedtime Break-ins!

The cold nights are here.  Well, it is October after all.  We couldn't have expected much more for much longer could we?  Last weekend, we were wearing t-shirts and walking around in fields laughing merrily.  This week, we're wearing out coats in the lounge and talking about how we got so old so quickly.  Last week, we jumped out of bed with a spring in our step and a twinkle in our eye.  This week, we ignore our alarm for far too long and spend ages finding out biggest and warmest jumpers.

Get out your woolly jumpers everyone - it's freeeeeeezing!

Caesar is feeling the cold too.  He's now refusing his usual nighttime rocking chair cuddles in favour of the best spot in front of the fire.  He actually ignored me yesterday when I tried to cuddle him.  I was mortified!  Luckily, I'm still winning with the night time cuddles and he is still toddling upstairs after me when it's time to turn in.

No more rocking chair cuddles!


Video - fat chance of that happening

Unfortunately, he doesn't always want to leave again when it's bed time.  And, over the past few nights, he has had to be physically removed from his place under the quilt.  Caesar has PERFECTED the 'puppy dog eyes' look and will whip it out as soon as he's told to go to bed, making me feel incredibly guilty about forcing him out of the door.  However, Caesar is like a super-villain; getting removed once is not enough to stop him.
'I don't care if you were here first, it's MY bed by the fire!'

"See you in the morning Caesar," I call as he sulks out of the room.  I'm certain I heard him groan 'that's what you think!'

It's 4:00 in the morning and I can hear the unmistakable sound of crying outside of the door.  Perhaps it's mean or perhaps sensible but I choose to ignore it.  Pandering to Caesar has never done me or him any good at all.  It continues for a few minutes and then subsides.  Turning the pillow over, I begin to drift off again.  Then, moments later, I can hear a clawing at the door.  Followed by a click and then a slam as the door hits the side table. Finally, a low thud as Caesar lands delicately on the mattress.  And so it begins again.  "Go to bed Caesar...Go to bed Caesar....CAESAR!  Go to bed."  This is now happening 2 - 3 times a night.  It's no wonder that I'm always a grump!

No comments:

Post a Comment